TechnalXS — Fri, 09/30/2011 - 07:27
I run a small survey on the features you want to see in Simple Mail
- Simple Mail does not intend to become a Thunderbird or Outlook like
- Sync with all IMAP folders is under development
- STARTTLS support is under development
waiting for your return
Thanks for your work on this, this extension is really a very needed thing for many users including me.
As for features, I have an idea about some feature that I know will be appreciated by many Russian and probably not only Russian users, even though it's probably hard to realize. I'm talking about "Mail dispatcher" tool.
This tool was introduced by Russian company RitLabs in their well-known in Russia mail client "The BAT!" and later something like this was present in "The Bee" program.
To be short, this tool allowed user to control his local mailbox without loading all incoming e-mails into it and worked like a manual spam filter (however it was rather powerful tool). You could see all messages titles list in a remote mailbox and select which messages you want to load locally, which you want to remove without reading, which you want to leave on a remote server yet, and which to download now (something like Thunderbird's and Simple Mail "load only titles/headers" feature, but much more convenient).
Once there was a long discussion on a Russian Mozilla Community forum with a poll, and 73% of all, who voted, would like to have this tool in their e-mail client. A Bug 488001 was created, but no one of the developers agreed to us, so the bug has got RESOLVED WONTFIX status.
If Simple Mail would have this feature, it could make it very attractive alternative for many users, who currently use "The BAT!". However, this would be a heavy thing, so I believe, it could be realized as a separate extension for Simple Mail (like separate extensions for Firebug, for example).
It would be really great if such extension existed!
- Management of delivery reports - DONE
- Filter on messages Already Received (thanx to uniwear for the idea) - DONE
- Imap on all directories
- more columns in address book (for example phone number, address, organization, IM etc) (Thanx to Skydreamer for the idea) - DONE
- import from .PRF files (outlook email setting) (thanx to fxy for the idea) hard to do ...very hard ...
1. IMAP IDLE
2. button to auto-report spam to spamcop (by forwarding as attachment to predefined email address) - a-la Mailwasher
3. option to suppress the confirmation when deleting messages - DONE
1 - ??
2 - "Simple Mail does not intend to become a Thunderbird or Outlook like"
3 - This will be added in the next version
Basically, push of the new messages by the server to the client, so the client receives them immediately rather than on the next send/receive.
2. mailwasher, where this is implemented, is very light client; pre-client, if you will. (at least its early versions were light)
1. IMAP on all directories is a must!
2. Implement 'Select All' when importing .vcf files
3. Implement global configuration for the text editor
"Simple Mail does not intend to become a Thunderbird or Outlook like"
I’m sure I’m not the first to say so, but Simple Mail’s greatest attribute is that it’s part of Firefox. Besides saving a lot of RAM on my weak PC, it just makes sense to have an email tab built into my browser. Turns out that this add-on is as important as the browser it’s added onto.
But it does require a fundamental shift in email collections. Whereas Thunderbird et al store emails as separate EML files, SM stores them as folder exports and to retrieve one requires importing the folder back, then opening that email.
As usual, I’m probably doing all this wrong. But having tried a dozen other clients, I’m still most satisfied with SM, and hope to more satisfied as time goes on.
2008-2014 userlogos.org. All logos/images belong to their respective owners. Contact administrator.